A spacious house overlooking the beautiful Loch Sunart, a haven for wildlife and outdoor activities.
An easy walk along a private road on the North side of Loch Teacuis with an optional foray further along the side of the loch. The private road meanders through farmland, along the northern shore of Loch Teacuis and through Atlantic oak woodland to Rahoy House. Good opportunities to look out for otters on the shoreline of this sea loch as well a variety of coastal birds. In May and June the woodlands are carpeted with bluebells and the road side verges are resplendent with spring flowers. Take time to enjoy the wildlife on this easy walk along this quiet country road.
The private road ends at Rahoy House where you have the option of continuing your walk along the loch edge. Take note of the splendid metal sculpture of a stag by Helen Denerley in the gardens in front of the 19th century Rahoy House as you walk along the loch edge. The true beauty and wildness of Loch Teacuis is revealed once past the house. Take time to admire the scenery. The ruined Dun, Torr An Fhamhair, on the wooded hill can be reached with care, but only for the adventurous.
1. Park in the small parking area at the end of the public road running past Loch Arienas from the A884. Here the road divides into two private roads through The Rahoy Estate. Take the road to the right, along the northern shores of Loch Teacuis.
2. Follow the private road initally through pasture and then along the loch shoreline. The road rises and falls slightly as it passes through some amcient atlantic woodland, though is easy going.
3. As the road reaches Rahoy House you will see a path to the left signed to the Fort and Outer Loch. Follow the path around the edge of the house gardens and onto the loch shoreline.
4. Follow the loch shoreline as far as you desire. There is no defined path here but you can experience and enjoy the true wildness of Loch Teacuis with just a short foray along the shoreline.
5. Return the way you came to return to the car parking area.
starting grid ref:
- there and back