The Invergarry Hotel - A charming 4 Star Scottish Highland Country Inn
The Corrantee Lead Mine is the most westerly of the mines around Strontian and can be reached from either Polloch or Strontian on the old coffin route. The path over the hills is well defined and affords some excellent views over the craggy hills of Sunart and Ardgour. The walk from Strontian or from Ardnastaing follows the track to Scotstown before heading up across the hills, passing the Sunart Community Hydro Dam and over towards Polloch.
Today, the mine workings consist of the remains of a water wheel house, which originally contained a large iron water wheel. that was involved in the pulverising of the mined rocks to extract the lead. The iron water wheel that lies at the base of the stone water wheelhouse was to have been installed in the late 1860s. There is a larger building above the mine workings with two fireplaces and a nearby enclosure; the latter possibly used to keep animals. The buildings are in various stages of dereliction but the enclosing walls (and gable ends of the main building) survive to give a feel for the size, shape and possible uses of the building. It is evident that the main building has been modified throughout its lifetime. The old mine opening is now blocked up and no longer evident. All the buildings associated with the mine are enclosed by a fence for safety reasons.
An interesting and scenic walk for a fine day.
1. Park in the small parking area at the end of the public road above The Ben View Hotel near Strontian.
2. Follow the track towards Scotstown. The track is well defined and easy to follow.
3. After around one mile take the left turning up the hill on the old coffin route signed towards Polloch.
4. You will soon reach the Sunart Community Hydro Dam, being developed during 2015 as a micro-hydro electric scheme. Continue up the hill on the path. At this point the track can be quite muddy and difficult, though soon improves again.
5. Continue on the path up over the hills. The path is well defined and easy to follow. Take time to enjoy the views from the cairns at the top of track.
6. Continue following the track down towards Polloch, skirting around a forestry plantation. Pass through a metal gate and continue passed the fenced off deserted building further down hill to the old mine workings.
7. Return by the same route. This route can be combined with the Corrantee Load Mines from Polloch walk if you want a longer walk or are walking through the area.
starting grid ref:
- there and back