A small Highland Hotel on the shores of Loch Sunart - Ideal for walkers and cyclists.
A lovely short walk along the banks of the River Lundy and through the plantation woodland of Leanachan Forest with some botanical interest.
The route passes through sections of spruce plantation. The plantation is skirted on route by fringes of mixed woodland of alder, goat willow and birch. The verges are splashed with the purples of devil's bit scabious, knapweed, dog's violet, self heal and heather, and the yellows of golden rod, St John's wort, yellow rattle, tormentil, creeping buttercup and gorse, according to season. There is also a lovely section skirting the River Lundy.
There are some glimpses of Ben Nevis on route in the open sections of the route.
An interpretation board at the start of the walk introduces the River Lundy Trail and highlights some of the local interest and wildlife. Look out for butterflies, including chequered skipper and Scotch argus, and hawker dragonflies. Listen out for the trills of siskins, coal tit and crossbills, the cronks of ravens and meeing of buzzard. Look out for dippers and common sandpipers along the river. Red squirrels and pine marten have also been recorded in the area.
The route follows a well defined path/track, popular with cyclists.
- The walk starts at the Hire Wire Adventure hut at the north west corner of the Leanachan Forest car par. The route is signposted by green posts with a red trim.
- Cross the wooden bridge over the River Lundy and enter into spruce plantation. The route passes under the High Wire Trail Course.
- Follow the way marked trail before turning left as directed just before you reach a T- junction. The path descends into dense plantation before rising and descending again towards a wooden bridge. Keep left.
- Cross the wooden bridge, taking time to admire the River Lundy with its exposed bedrock, strewn with boulders.
- The next section of the route skirts the River Lundy before passing through a gap in a stone wall, with a wet meadow on the right and plantation on the left.
- Ignore the path on the right and keep straight ahead. The path soon joins with a forestry track. Turn left and ascend on the forestry track through spruce plantation. Continue straight on the track, ignore an ascending track on the right.
- Cross the bridge and descend to the car park, passing by the Witch's Trail.
starting grid ref: