Kinloch Castle, on the Isle of Rum, is a turreted, two storey castle, with an arcaded veranda, built by the wealthy Lancashire industrialist George Bullough in 1897. The building was designed to befit the requirements of an extravagant and lavish Victorian lifestyle. Fine craftsmanship, 'state of the art’ facilities and the most modern of conveniences of the time characterise the building, which has been described as ‘ a temple to private indulgence’.
Outside, a great variety of exotic species were planted in the formal and informal gardens around the castle, as well as a bowling green and golf course. Unfortunately, the gardens are now a little unkempt and overgrown and form an uneasy alliance with the native flora. However the bridge from the Japanese Garden remains intact, but little remains of the hot houses and palm houses of this magnificent and extravagant residence.
There is a guided daily tour around the castle, lasting about one hour, and timed to fit in with the arrival of the ferry service. The castle is well worth a visit, if just to marvel at the extreme opulence and indulgence of an age long since vanished.
George Bullough was also responsible for building two mausoleums, the first destroyed on the grounds of its poor design, and of which only a few decorated tiles now remain. The second mausoleum, in the form of a Doric temple, was built in Harris Bay to the west and houses the family remains.
A great day out if staying in and around Moidart, Ardnamurchan, Morvern, Arisaig and Mallaig.